[ydl-gen] Benchmarks of code on G5, G5/altivec, x86, PS3/CELL

Nathan Moore nmoore at winona.edu
Thu Dec 21 20:52:53 MST 2006

Hi Rob,

I attacked a similar problem a few summers ago while an intern at
IBM.  The application I spent the most time porting was GROMACS, a
computational physics/chemistry/biology code that is used to simulate
substances on the molecular scale. GROMACS code is heavily used in
the popular Folding at Home screensaver/drug design application, and has
been HIGHLY tuned (down to the assembler level) for ppc 970 and i686
architectures.  It is also pretty easy to compile and has a fantastic
developer mailing list (cross compiling for Blue Gene was another
story though.).

There are serial and parallel benchmark systems that are pretty well
understood, see specifically,

	http://www.gromacs.org/

and

	http://www.gromacs.org/gromacs/benchmark/single-processor-
benchmarks.html

All this said, there is likely someone at IBM (at Watson, Almaden, or
Rochester labs) who has already or will be soon be porting gromacs to
the cell architecture.

regards,

Nathan Moore