[ydl-gen] Remote Desktop YDL PS3 to OSX

Jonathan Bartlett jonathan at newmedio.com
Fri Dec 22 06:52:14 MST 2006

Have you all considered just doing X?

You can set it up by unfirewalling the X ports (I don't know if they are
firewalled off, but I remove firewall settings of distributions as a
matter of habit), and running gdmsetup, which will let you configure gdm
to accept network requests.

Then, in OSX, you can just:

1) on your PS3, allow XDMCP connections on the firewall

iptables -I INPUT 1 -p tcp --dport 177 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT 1 -p udp --dport 177 -j ACCEPT

2) on your PS3, run gdmsetup, and under the "Remote" tab, do something
other than deny remote logins (mine is set to "same as local")

3) on your OSX box, launch X11.  In the terminal that pops up at the
start of X11, start your X session in a new window

Xnest :1 -query HOST_OR_IP_OF_PS3

4) If you want a different window size, you can try adding a "-geometry
WIDTHxHEIGHT"

5) Note that it does NOT allow root logins in this manner.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to get OSX's glx to do direct rendering :(

Jon