[ydl-gen] Please help

Luke Scharf lscharf at vt.edu
Fri Dec 29 18:53:30 MST 2006

Nick Jones wrote:
> Here is the real problem, I have no video card (they don't come with
> them).  I use the serial terminal.  I used to get a prompt once init
> level 3 was reached, and then I could log in (not as root though for
> some wierd reason).  It worked great until today.

Not relevant to the immediate problem, but to allow root to log in on
the serial port, you can add "ttyS0" to /etc/securetty.

> Now I don't get a prompt anymore.  What I really want is to see the
> boot messages and why it stops or I can't tell what is wrong.  Anyone
> know how to do this?  If I use console=ttys0 or whatever with the
> kernel it does not output boot messages, which is really worthless.

Is the serial-cable known-good?  These kind of things trip me up.

Do you get the yaboot prompt?  Did you ever?  Was
append="console=ttyS0,57600" ever added to /etc/yaboot.conf.

Can you transplant the hard drive into another XServe and read it from
there?

-Luke