[ydl-gen] Problem with yaboot/YDL 4.0.1

Keith Mitchell kamitch at cisco.com
Tue Feb 28 14:06:30 MST 2006

I have actually done all that... but I am installing these machines via
kickstart (i.e. without the normal GUI).... perhaps that is broken.

Derick Centeno wrote:
> Ok.
>
> I'm not clear what "I told YDL" actually means in this context.
>
> Does it mean that you bought the system directly from Terra Soft and
> spoke to someone there regarding what you wanted?
> That however may be unlikely, as they are very good at not making this
> kind of error.
>
> Or do you mean you merely started the YDL installation on the Mac
> without preparing the installed mac hardware to be able to use YDL?
> My intuition tells me that this is probably what you did.
>
> You did not boot your Mac so that it ran from your Installer disk.
> You also did not invoke Disk Utility as instructed.
> You did not tell Disk Utility to partition the entire hard drive so
> that there would be 1 partition called Untitled and that partition
> would be formatted by Disk Utility as Free Space.
>
> As you did not do the above that is why you are where you are as
> regards this difficulty.
>
> Linux needs to see that partition created by Disk Utility which Disk
> Utility formats as Free Space.
> Then the installation proceeds.
>
> You may not need to know this but the Unix format option within Disk
> Utility exists for an older version of what was years ago known as
> Apple Unix; which is different and predates OS X.  That version of
> Unix doesn't know ext2 or ext3 which Linux does use.  Sometimes a
> little more information helps; sometimes it doesn't.
>
> In this situation, you merely started with the Unix format option in
> Apple's Disk Utility or you thought that merely installing YDL onto a
> Mac whose hard drive is preformatted and loaded with OS X (expecting
> YDL to merely erase it) would just somehow work.
>
> The fault here is a mere lack of understanding the nuances of hard
> drive formatting procedures.  Every Linux installation needs something
> on the hard drive it can see or recognize telling it that it can
> proceed to do things it's way.  If it doesn't see what it expects, it
> doesn't know why and it won't care, nor will it complain or tell you
> something.  It will work as best it can with what it thinks you want
> it to do.  This is exactly where a little knowledge is a dangerous
> thing because you understand one thing and it another and this can go
> on for months and you won't have a clue as to why your installation is
> so odd from every other Linux installation.
>
> Every company, Apple included, formats their hard drive in a
> proprietary manner which only that operating system may use.
>
> Linux by definition is open source which means it's for everyone.  No
> Linux utility has the proprietary codes which each company keeps to
> itself; rather Linux can see when it is allowed to format a drive it's
> way.
>
> In Apple's case, the signal or data Linux needs to see is that the
> hard drive is prepared for Linux as Free Space by the Disk Utility
> application.  Linux doesn't see the information the same way Disk
> [...]

Keith Mitchell                         |        |         |
kamitch at cisco.com                      |       :|:       :|:
7025 Kit Creek Road, P.O. Box 14987    |     :|||||:   :|||||:
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709       |   .:|||||||:.:|||||||:.
919-392-9607                           |  c i s c o S y s t e m s