[ydl-gen] Problem with yaboot/YDL 4.0.1

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue Feb 28 09:21:04 MST 2006

Ok.

I'm not clear what "I told YDL" actually means in this context.

Does it mean that you bought the system directly from Terra Soft and
spoke to someone there regarding what you wanted?
That however may be unlikely, as they are very good at not making this
kind of error.

Or do you mean you merely started the YDL installation on the Mac
without preparing the installed mac hardware to be able to use YDL?
My intuition tells me that this is probably what you did.

You did not boot your Mac so that it ran from your Installer disk.  You
also did not invoke Disk Utility as instructed.
You did not tell Disk Utility to partition the entire hard drive so
that there would be 1 partition called Untitled and that partition
would be formatted by Disk Utility as Free Space.

As you did not do the above that is why you are where you are as
regards this difficulty.

Linux needs to see that partition created by Disk Utility which Disk
Utility formats as Free Space.
Then the installation proceeds.

You may not need to know this but the Unix format option within Disk
Utility exists for an older version of what was years ago known as
Apple Unix; which is different and predates OS X.  That version of Unix
doesn't know ext2 or ext3 which Linux does use.  Sometimes a little
more information helps; sometimes it doesn't.

In this situation, you merely started with the Unix format option in
Apple's Disk Utility or you thought that merely installing YDL onto a
Mac whose hard drive is preformatted and loaded with OS X (expecting
YDL to merely erase it) would just somehow work.

The fault here is a mere lack of understanding the nuances of hard
drive formatting procedures.  Every Linux installation needs something
on the hard drive it can see or recognize telling it that it can
proceed to do things it's way.  If it doesn't see what it expects, it
doesn't know why and it won't care, nor will it complain or tell you
something.  It will work as best it can with what it thinks you want it
to do.  This is exactly where a little knowledge is a dangerous thing
because you understand one thing and it another and this can go on for
months and you won't have a clue as to why your installation is so odd
from every other Linux installation.

Every company, Apple included, formats their hard drive in a
proprietary manner which only that operating system may use.

Linux by definition is open source which means it's for everyone.  No
Linux utility has the proprietary codes which each company keeps to
itself; rather Linux can see when it is allowed to format a drive it's
way.

In Apple's case, the signal or data Linux needs to see is that the hard
drive is prepared for Linux as Free Space by the Disk Utility
application.  Linux doesn't see the information the same way Disk
Utility does, but it will recognize the Free Space formatting structure
and treat it differently from the Unix formatting structure.

   If Linux doesn't see the Free Formatting structure as prepared by
Disk Utility, we arrive where you already are.

It is quite possible that I'm completely wrong but the output you
originally reported got there somehow, and it is not a normal Linux
installation, pure and simple.  The directions I supplied prior to this
email applies for installing only YDL (replacing Mac OS X with YDL) --
although sadly Terra Soft's explanation does not emphasize that.  Maybe
they will highlight or elaborate upon that one day; meanwhile I've also
wiped out OS X replacing it with YDL (several times); the steps I'm
discussing and emphasizing -- works.

Best wishes ...