Fwd: [ydl-gen] Problem with yaboot/YDL 4.0.1

Keith Mitchell kamitch at cisco.com
Tue Feb 28 06:00:17 MST 2006

This machine does *NOT* have Mac OSX installed on it.  I told YDL to
clear the partition table and use the whole disk.

Derick Centeno wrote:
> Hi Keith:
> I'm unsure whether anyone has responded to you, but I'll attempt an
> answer.  First, according to the pdisk dump what you are being told
> there is that you probably used Apple's Disk Utility to partition your
> drive however you selected the option for Unix, instead of the official
> recommendation from Terra Soft that you select the option for Free
> Space.

<snip>
> Good Luck....
>

>>         From: Keith Mitchell <kamitch at cisco.com>
>>         Date: February 27, 2006 7:36:19 PM EST
>>         To: Yellow Dog Linux General Discussion List
>>         <yellowdog-general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
>>         Subject: [ydl-gen] Problem with yaboot/YDL 4.0.1
>>         <yellowdog-general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
>>
>>         Hi,
>>
>>         I installed using the YDL 4.0.1 cd's with the following
>>         partitioning in the ks file:
>>
>>         clearpart --all
>>         part None --size=1 --fstype="Apple Bootstrap"
>>         part /boot --size=500
>>         part swap --size=4096 --grow --maxsize=8096
>>         part / --size=4352 --grow --maxsize=6144
>>         part /var --size=500 --grow --maxsize=2048
>>         part /var/tmp --size=500 --grow --maxsize=2048
>>         part /scratch --size=1024 --grow
>>

>>         I just tried to update my kernel to a custom RPM that I built
>>         and discovered that yaboot doesn't work.  When the kernel rpms
>>         install, I see:
>>
>>         Failed to initialize HFS working directories: Permission
>>         denied
>>         ybin: /dev/sda2 appears to have never had a bootstrap
>>         installed, please run mkofboot
>>

>>         A 'pdisk' dump of the /dev/sda filesystem:
>>
>>         Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/sda'
>>         #:                type name        length   base      ( size )
>>         1: Apple_partition_map Apple           63 @ 1
>>         2:     Apple_Bootstrap untitled      2048 @ 64        (  1.0M)
>>         3:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled  12578895 @ 2112      (  6.0G)
>>         4:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap      16579080 @ 12581007  (  7.9G)
>>         5:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled 274011791 @ 29160087  (130.7G)
>>         6:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled   4192965 @ 303171878 (  2.0G)
>>         7:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled   4192965 @ 307364843 (  2.0G)
>>         8:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled   1024000 @ 311557808 (500.0M)
>>

>>         I did some investigation and it looks like hmount (called by
>>         ybin) does not like this /dev/sda2 partition.  I can, however,
>>         use 'mount -t hfs' to mount the partition.
>>
>>         Has anyone else run into this?  Is there a fix?
>>
>>         Thanks.
>>         HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords>
>>         site:terrasoftsolutions.com'

Keith Mitchell                         |        |         |
kamitch at cisco.com                      |       :|:       :|:
7025 Kit Creek Road, P.O. Box 14987    |     :|||||:   :|||||:
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709       |   .:|||||||:.:|||||||:.
919-392-9607                           |  c i s c o S y s t e m s