[ydl-gen] Mac mini vs Powerpc 8600=energy consumption

Norberto Quintanar nquintanar at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 9 13:49:10 MST 2006

Or again like I wrote earlier, if you're really concerned about
electricity, install solar shingles.  This isn't a joke.  I'm
serious.  I installed solar shingles in August and since my September
bill I have received monthly checks from the power company totalling
between $5-25$.  If one includes my savings of NOT paying an
electrial bill which avg. $100/ month before the shingles and the
checks I receive.  I'll pay off my solar shingle install in 36 mos.

--- "H. Apfel" <linux at apfel-edv.de> wrote:

> Power meter at the AC power input - so it includes converter
> losses.
> Uh,oh <blush> I remembered wrong. After consulting my spreadsheet
> the
> mini uses 18 W idling / 32 W with optical drive on/ '0' (< 1.5 W)
> 'off'.
> For comparison: My Dual G5/1.8 needs 130 W idling / 200 W 'SETI'ing
> /
> 2 W 'off'.
> Er, and I measured an old G3/300 as well: 41 W/ 45 W/ 3.6 W.
> 7600/132: 55W / 2.5 W. (even more than a G3!)
>
> So from a energetic point of view: get a stack of minis!
>

> >Were you reading with your optical drive or writing?
>
> 'Noising' ;-) I guess reading..
>

> >Also, did you have a BT/Airport Extreme module installed?
>
> Nope. It's a CAD station, gimmicks excluded. But great fun if once
> while a windozer starts looking for the computer which drives the
> 23'
> screen :-)
>
> Greetings
>
> Holger

--Norberto Quintanar

"You belong to something bigger. From birth. And your life is spent rediscovering the underlying principles, through various players -- coaches, mentors, teachers, spouses, kids. It's in your genes. Your responsibility. Destiny. Is all on you.  Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
--Norberto Quintanar