[ydl-gen] YDL 4.1 Installation: Creating software RAID

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Thu Jan 19 13:53:31 MST 2006

Hi Sascha:

Considering a PC partitioning scheme on a PPC system defeats the
purpose of why you are using a PPC system in the first place.  Leave
that stuff for Intel based architectures.
Technically arguments can go one way or another, but sometimes these
nuances between architectures matter in getting things done and in
examining why some attempts or "work arounds" may just not be worth it.
  So just master the PPC stuff you need, keep your PC experience in the
background and if there are relationships or points of similarity from
an engineering standpoint then note that.  However, one to one
correspondence, ie. what technical methods worked in one system may not
work optimally with another.  If you think Apple's stuff is hairy, you
may have missed the technical documents IBM provides regarding similar
setups for their RS/6000 using AIX.  Not that material is real
engineering!

No one I've met would try to apply badmington rules in baseball, and
likewise it is between PC/Intel engineering schemes and PPC engineering
schemes.  The difference between the architectures and how they access
peripherals could fill books; that's another story.

Onto something a bit more useful to you.  TSS does provide this
information regarding RAID setup in the ydl.net service.  You can read
more about the offering here:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/y-hpc/