[ydl-gen] USB Drive

Jurvis LaSalle lasalle at bard.edu
Sun Jan 22 23:28:14 MST 2006

On Jan 22, 2006, at 10:02 PM, Derick Centeno wrote:

> I think I mentioned elsewhere that Linux can only read hfs+ and
> read/write hfs.

Not true.  yum install hfsplusutils
I had no problems mounting hfs+ volumes rw under ydl4.
This thread discusses a problem that may arise, but it doesn't
destroy data:
http://www.mail-archive.com/yellowdog-
general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/msg02272.html

Also, http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/ provides support for
ext2 volumes under 10.3
and prior version of OS X (tiger support is still coming).

If Rob wants to use a GUI to partition, I'd use Disk Utility and
mount it under linux using
the hfsplusutils.  Does YDL4 have a similar GUI tool?  If it does, it
might be best to use
neither hfs+ or ext2.  IMO, the most tested fs to use for cross-
platform support is fat32 (vfat).
The tools for working with it are very robust under both OS X and PPC
Linux.  The hfs+ or ext2 utils
I mention in the previous paragraphs have had nowhere near the same
amount of usage.

As with everything, let the nuances of the situation dictate the
solution.  ymmv.  g'luck Rob.

hth,
JL