[ydl-gen] USB Drive

rev rob houseofshame at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 16:53:26 MST 2006

OK
  Derick, you're right, I should learn this because I'm using linux.
With Linux I should use linux and with Mac os (9 os X) I should use
the Mac os(s). That said:
 I dove right on it. Pdisk, that is. Here is what I have now after
deleting a few other partitions on the drive, creating a new partition
with the  c  command. I tried to  i  the partition map but it remains
the same

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/sda'
 #:                type name      length   base      ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple         63 @ 1
 2:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 sam    120103136 @ 64        ( 57.3G)

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=120103200 (57.3G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

Command (? for help):

I know there is a way for me to specify a certain file system with "C"
command. I tried ext3 and that would not let me mount it. (A little on
the mount. I created a directory in mnt called sam. So I think my
mount command should be   mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sam  Is this right?)
I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Yes, I have an Apple partition
map which I tried to initialize with the pdisk command "i" then I
wrote it with "w". For the Apple unix svr partition, I "c" ed that
one.
  pdisk is really cool and very fast. I think I must be missing
something but don't know what.
 Also, thanks for the lil boost  for me sitting down and working with
pdisk rather than look for a workaround
     Thanks again
On 1/23/06, Jurvis LaSalle <lasalle at bard.edu> wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2006, at 10:02 PM, Derick Centeno wrote:
>

> > I think I mentioned elsewhere that Linux can only read hfs+ and
> > read/write hfs.
>

> Not true.  yum install hfsplusutils
> I had no problems mounting hfs+ volumes rw under ydl4.

This looks really good for mounting other drives I have that are HFS+
 Thank you so much, Jurvis
> This thread discusses a problem that may arise, but it doesn't
> destroy data:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/yellowdog-
> general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/msg02272.html
>
> Also, http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/ provides support for
> ext2 volumes under 10.3
> and prior version of OS X (tiger support is still coming).
>
> If Rob wants to use a GUI to partition, I'd use Disk Utility and
> mount it under linux using
> the hfsplusutils.  Does YDL4 have a similar GUI tool?  If it does, it
> might be best to use
> neither hfs+ or ext2.  IMO, the most tested fs to use for cross-
> platform support is fat32 (vfat).
> The tools for working with it are very robust under both OS X and PPC
> Linux.  The hfs+ or ext2 utils
> I mention in the previous paragraphs have had nowhere near the same
> amount of usage.
>
> As with everything, let the nuances of the situation dictate the
> solution.  ymmv.  g'luck Rob.
>
> hth,
> JL
  Thanks