[ydl-gen] Free space is missing (du, df and HFS plus file system)

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 16:35:11 MST 2006

Hello, I've got a bit of an odd situation.

I have an HFS plus partition that I mount and use in Linux. I have a
symlink to a directory in /mnt/macosx which appears in a Linux smb
share that I mount in OS X. I'm missing about 5G of space according to
various Linux utilities:

df -h reports...

/dev/hdc8             7.7G  5.9G  1.5G  80% /
none                  125M     0  125M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hdc10             35G   28G  5.8G  83% /home
/dev/hdc7              25G   24G  1.7G  94% /mnt/macosx

du -h --max-depth=1 from /mnt gives...
/mnt/macosx is 19G

So, what's going on? I only just noticed it when I deleted a directory
that contained about 4.3 GB of files this afternoon. When I checked df
-h I only had 2.3 G free (when I had just deleted 4.3 GB from the
directory, symlinked to a smb share, mounted in the OS X 10.4.4
Finder).

Any guesses as to what's going on? Or ways to get Linux to agree on
the amount of space that's free?

PS Yes, I realise I probably shouldn't be playing with HFS plus and
smb and Mac OS X Finder.

Eric.