[ydl-gen] Free space is missing (du, df and HFS plus file system)

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 18:30:19 MST 2006

Thanks for the thought Peter. I'll investigate ._ just to be sure, but
the inode explanation has piqued my curiosity. My confusion arise in
the discrepancy between df (disk free space) and du (file space
usage).

The mount point for /dev/hdc7 (the HFS+ partition) is /mnt/macosx.

When mounted, df gives the following output for df -h:
/dev/hdc8             7.7G  5.9G  1.5G  80% /
none                  125M     0  125M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hdc10             35G   33G  823M  98% /home
/dev/hdc7              25G   23G  2.4G  91% /mnt/macosx

sudo du -h --max-depth=1 gives the following output for /mnt/macosx:
14G     ./Desktop Folder
651M    ./gallery
1.9G    ./ydl-backup
17G     .

The grand total for du is 17G while it's 23G for df. That's ~6G that's
missing!!! Now, I'm wondering if ydl-backup could be the problem since
it contains files that belong to a specific account.

Anyway, I'll back everything up to DVD and wipe (after trying a few
bug fixes)... though, maybe I should just wait until 4.1 is out and
just start fresh. Having multiple partitions is driving me bonkers.
I've had to create more links than I feel comfortable with.

Eric.