[ydl-gen] setting the hostname in YDL 4.1

Nathan Moore nmoore at physics.umn.edu
Fri Jul 14 21:20:56 MDT 2006

Hi again,

I updated a few G4 boxes to run YDL 4.1 and am running into the same
problem as before.  The machines connect to a larger academic network
via dhcp, the DNS server (normally) stores a machine's mac-
address:hostname mapping in its loop-up table when that machine asks
for an IP address.

I want the machine to have hostname "runner" under the domainname
"workstations.winona.edu", so that from within the campus network I
should be able to either,
	ssh runner
or
	ssh runner.workstations.winona.edu,
both of which presently fail

presently, the machine self identifies by mac address, as can be seen
from the result of the ssh command below.

[nmoore at runner sysconfig]$ ssh alc-01
Password:
Last login: Fri Jul 14 22:04:35 2006 from 0-30-65-bd-4-
d6.workstations.winona.edu
Have a lot of fun...

Now, using the "hostname" command, ie
	hostname runner.workstations.winona.edu
is an imperfect fix, because that only sticks until the machine is re-
booted.  With grep, I looked through /etc and found what I thought
are  the pertinent files for setting the hostname.  I'd certainly
appreciate corrections to the config files below!

I'll list the contents of (what I assume are) pertinent config files
below:

[root at runner devices]# cat /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
DHCP_HOSTNAME=runner.workstations.winona.edu
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes
IPV6INIT=no

[root at runner default]# cat /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/
ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
DHCP_HOSTNAME=runner.workstations.winona.edu
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes
IPV6INIT=no

[root at runner etc]# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost

[root at runner sysconfig]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=runner.workstations.winona.edu

Nathan Moore
Physics