[ydl-gen] setting the hostname in YDL 4.1

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sat Jul 15 15:14:37 MDT 2006

Hi Nathan:
I found another related discussion addressing this same question you
raised... at least it appears so to me.  Perhaps this link could be
helpful:

http://info.ccone.at/INFO/Mail-Archives/redhat/Mar-2005/msg00472.html

Regarding your next question, before I state one more word you can do:

$ man hostname

or

$ info hostname

and learn more details from within YDL.  Also you can do:

$ man dnsdomainname

or

$ info dnsdomainname

My comments build upon Mr. Murtagh's previous comments regarding
hostname.  As you have noted during the YDL install process the option
to "set the hostname" exists.  Choosing such a name let's say we call
it excaliber, changes the generic name which is localhost.  From that
point on instead of (let's imagine your username is nathan):

[nathan at localhost etc]$

We have instead:

[nathan at excaliber etc]$

In other words, hostname addresses the name for those services provided
by your machine to other devices and systems. One good example is CUPS.
  You may notice that to access CUPS via your browser within YDL.
You'll enter CUPS (before hostname is set) by doing from within the URL
of the browser:

localhost:631

However, after the name change to excaliber to enter CUPS becomes:

excaliber:631

Why?  CUPS is providing printing services to the machine named
excaliber.

Just one point, the password which you need to enter CUPS is peculiar
to your machine.  You are considered by this machine (if you actually
own and use it) as it's System Administrator and you have and know it's
root password.  Others who share access to this machine are your guests
and they are users to which you may assign to them user names allowing
limited or whatever access you decide to that machine, at your
discretion.  These users or your machine can have different passwords
which they can choose, but not the root password!

This root password is not the password you use to access or participate
with the network your computer links to; nor should it ever be.  When
you do logon to a network, if you don't have a specific name, a good
DNS or other server will assign one to you for the duration of the
contact.  Whatever happens (how you may be allowed to interact or
exchange data and the kind of data and how large it can be, etc.) is
determined by that Network Administrator.

I hope my extension of this discussion was useful to your purpose.

Best wishes....