[ydl-gen] G5 dual, 2.7 GHz 20" Cinema Display

Wolfgang Freysinger Innsbruck Medical U wolfgang.freysinger at uibk.ac.at
Tue Jul 18 02:37:59 MDT 2006

Hi there everyone!
We have quite nice machine (G5 dual, 8 GB RAM, 20" Cinema display,
graphics card that should be supported by YDL 4.1) that we (plan to) use
for some "large-size" image processing tasks (image stacks of some GB).
Unfortunatley, there is no 3D-acceleration support, let alone can we use
the display. Just blurred.
After some long period of fiddling, we still cannot use the display and
come to the following conclusion:

The X-windows configuration should be read from /etc/X11/Xorg.conf
Actually, it seems to read from somewhere else:
the settings of the Xorg.conf and those of the GUI tool (right mouse
click on the desktop, e.g.) do not read equeal.
The GUI-config tools do not show an item like 20" Cinema Display.

We were able to get something like a readable display. However, the
problem seems to be the frequency, most likely the horizontal "frequeny"
of the display. We still have to run the machine on the second monitor
of the dual display. A pity.

Did someone get a system like ours ever to work properly?
We tried all YDL suggested an more, no success.
Does anyone have a clue?
We have run out of ideas.
Thanks

Wolfgang Freysinger
assoc. prof., medical physicist
4D Visualization
Univ. ENT Clinic
Departement of ENT Diseases & Voice, Speech and Hearing Disorders
Innbruck Medical University
Anichstr. 35, A-6020 Innsbruck, Austria

tel.:  +43 512 504 22314, fax.: +43 512 504 25231
Wolfgang.Freysinger at uibk.ac.at
http://www.i-med.ac.at/igdt
new!!  http://www2.uibk.ac.at/test/610-1/c53108/
new!!  http://www.cas-h-international.org/2007