[ydl-gen] G5 dual, 2.7 GHz 20" Cinema Display

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Thu Jul 20 23:57:43 MDT 2006

Greetings Dr. Freysinger:

I was wondering if you were willing to try a different approach.

Nvidia, just like other graphics companies does support Linux but
typically not Linux running on the PowerPC (see here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html).  As they own the licenses to
their hardware and the binaries for the drivers they do allow for
download you will of course note that their drivers for other versions
of Linux may not be reverse engineered.  This may mean you are left
with writing to Nvidia directly requesting permission that they develop
or allow you to develop the necessary driver software.  At least if you
ask, it'll put them on notice that this (maintaining and supporting
development for Linux on the PowerPC) is an issue for them to pay
attention to.

Scientists such as yourself know better than I, the technical arguments
of the PowerPC v. Intel arch.  Not all the sciences need to utilize
these differences together with the flexibility Linux provides for
their respective area of research.  For those who choose to utilize the
PowerPC to maximize their research, current policies or prejudices by
otherwise outstanding companies like Nvidia must be extremely
frustrating.  This frustration and Nvidia's potential to relieve it,
needs to be emphasized and clarified to their management.

This view or approach may not work, but consider this... if you don't
pursue this challenge to their management so that they consider the
choice of expanding the Linux drivers they support, you may just have
to switch not only to Intel and Red Hat... but a lower order of
scientific performance as well.

Again the argument arises, why should Nvidia frustrate your choices of
hardware regarding high-level and high-end scientific research?

As someone who has engaged in some technical writing work, if I can be
of assistance, feel free to contact me directly.

Best wishes....