[ydl-gen] How to install Firefox and set resoultion on KDE?

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sat Jul 22 19:11:42 MDT 2006

Hi Kevin:

It's always great to hear from someone still keeping the G3 up and
running using YDL.  Here's a link which should help enable you to move
your version of YDL up to what is current while using the instructions
here
(http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-newbie/Week-
of-Mon-20050124/006710.html) to maintain use of BootX.  In other words,
as long as you remain using that G3 you must use BootX.  You probably
already know that, as well as the fact that BootX is no longer provided
together with current versions of YDL, so the instructions regarding
it's use will remain unchanged.  When you are ready to move up to a
PowerPC (G4/5 or whatever the future is -- the Cell?), you won't need
BootX at all.

Personally, I discovered how liberating that can be.  Please accept my
apologies as the link I provided may appear self-promoting; my
intention was to avoid repetition.

One can choose to keep the kernel current by using patches, as well as
regularly updating changes and modifications to all the applications
one uses.  An alternative to that process is to be and remain current
with whatever TSS has released formally via the public mirrors and of
course via using yum.  Personally, when TSS makes something simpler and
more reliable (or anyone else for that matter) I use it.

Considering the specifics regarding your questions.  As far as I know
tar is a compression utility.  The options used (xz..., and so on)
affects how it compresses or uncompresses various files.  It does not
install those compressed files.

You could get more info from:

$man tar

or
$info tar

You can do this with any  command.  The command usually used for
installation is rpm.  Again use man or info for more details.
Regarding how to proceed I found a TSS document discussing the
installation of an application then called Ximian
(http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_2.3/
red_carpet.shtml).  Use this as a guideline for installing any
application.  Remember that when $ changes to # one has changed from
user to root.  Here is a short-cut version of the instruction there:

#rpm -Uvh fire*.rpm

Of course, the space following .rpm  or tar implies that you hit the
Enter or Return key.

When you use rpm the next step is to launch the app.  To do that you
need to find where it's been installed, you can do that by using:

#locate firefox

A listing will appear regarding where firefox is. Go to the directory
and execute the app. from there.  In other words, as it is in /usr/bin,
remember to go to /bin and do:

$./firefox

and it should start right up.  Remember to create aliases to that
command so that you can launch the app from within the launcher and you
should be set.

I'm not all that familiar with jargon relating to video media, so
rather than guess at something completely off the wall I'll ask for a
clarification.
Perhaps another participant can address your concern regarding KDE who
may understand your description better than I.

Best wishes...