[ydl-gen] Apache web server & virtual hosts

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 20:40:36 MDT 2006

On 25/07/06, R. Hirschfeld <ray at unipay.nl> wrote:
> Eric,
>
> > Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 18:30:15 -0400
> > From: "Eric Dunbar" <eric.dunbar at gmail.com>
> >
> > I have been trying to set up virtual hosts on my webserver (so I can
> > do foo.bar.com, big.bar.com, etc.bar.com).
> >
> > I managed to set one up successfully using the webmin interface for
> > port 6900. I tried to add a second virtual host on a different port
> > but it wouldn't be recognised.
>
> > Any ideas? Do I need to tell httpd to do something special other than restart?
>
> Did you instruct apache to listen to the other ports, using the LISTEN
> directive in httpd.conf?  A vhost on a particular port won't have any
> effect if you're not listening on that port.

Thanks to Ray and Michael for their responses!

Hmm. I'll have to see whether LISTEN will help. The only LISTEN
directive is for port 80 and despite that port 6900 works (just
checked... it works at the moment).

Listen *:80

> Out of curiosity, why are you setting up the vhosts on separate ports?
> Why not just use the same port for all of them (80, for that matter,
> or 443 for SSL)?

Umm. Because that's what I (in my ignorance) figured what I should be
doing to have multiple servers on one computer ;-).

Seriously though, thanks for the 'heads up' to both you and Michael.
Now I'll see if I can get apache listening for multiple domains on
port 80 (though, I'd still also like to figure out why I can't get
more than two ports (plus 443) going at the same time).

Thanks,
Eric.