[ydl-gen] Apache web server & virtual hosts

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 20:51:07 MDT 2006

On 25/07/06, Michael Baer <ydl at mikesoffice.com> wrote:

>     Eric> Hi all, I have been trying to set up virtual hosts on my
>     Eric> webserver (so I can do foo.bar.com, big.bar.com,
>     Eric> etc.bar.com).
>
>     Eric> I managed to set one up successfully using the webmin
>     Eric> interface for port 6900. I tried to add a second virtual
>     Eric> host on a different port but it wouldn't be recognised.
>
>     Eric> HOWEVER, if I swap the port numbers on the virtual hosts
>     Eric> the one I added second will appear on port 6900 but the
>     Eric> one I originally entered on 6900 is then disabled.
>
>     Eric> This is what the virtual host entry looks like...
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> Well, I'm not a web guru and I've never used webmin, so take my
> suggestions with a grain of salt handy.  (and you might want to try
> the Apache mailing list) But some things come to mind.
> I think you may need to add some NameVirtualHost lines in your
> httpd.conf file, e.g.
>
> NameVirtualHost 10.0.0.1:80
> NameVirtualHost 10.0.0.1:6900
> NameVirtualHost 10.0.0.1:99
>
> You also may need to mess with the 'Listen' config.  I'm also not
> sure why you're doing separate ports.  You can have all of your
> address go to port 80 if you want:
>
> <VirtualHost 10.0.0.1:80 >
>    DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html/foo
>    ServerName foo.bar.com
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost 10.0.0.1:80 >
>    DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html/big
>    ServerName big.bar.com
> </VirtualHost>
>
> but if you really want separate ports, I think with the
> NameVirtualhost lines above you could do the following as well:
>
> <VirtualHost 10.0.0.1:6900 >
>    DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html/big
>    ServerName big.bar.com
> </VirtualHost>

Well, changing the LISTEN directive did make a change but I couldn't
figure out what it was using as its DocumentRoot ... and I didn't have
the time or inclination to find out what to do since...

The :80 tricked worked like a charm. Thank you very much. All I did
was change the port number on my virtualhost definition to :80 and it
worked :-) :-) :-).

Thanks once again to both Ray & Michael for helping out.

Eric.