[ydl-gen] 64bit libgcc_s.so.1 (libgcc-3.4.4-2.ydl.2.ppc64.rpm) not installed?

George Squirrel moose_squirrel at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 26 11:04:34 MDT 2006

We're using ydl on ppcG5 for home-grown applied mathematics.
Normal YDL installation with development tools installed, I seem to be
missing at least libgcc_s.so.1

ls -l /usr/lib/gcc/ppc64-yellowdog-linux/3.4.4/   yields a missing link
to...
libgcc_s_64.so -> /lib64/libgcc_s.so.1   (i.e. /lib64/libgcc_s.so.1 does not
exist)

So, in a file t.c
int main()
{
return 0;
}

and then type gcc -m64 t.c
I get
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s_64
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Took a while to discover I needed to install libgcc-3.4.4-2.ydl.2.ppc64.rpm
from install CD1 rpms.

My question is should I nuke my current installation and opt for the
'everything' installation so as not to miss any further 64-bit relevant
rpms?  Or, in the package selection section is there a particular checkbox I
missed?

Sorry the question is rather vague, but this is my second experience with
ydl and the first went more or less flawlessly- until the harddrive died.
thanks for any 64bit development thoughts anyone can pass along.
George