[ydl-gen] Apache web server & virtual hosts

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 14:23:08 MDT 2006

On 28/07/06, R. Hirschfeld <ray at unipay.nl> wrote:
> Eric,
>
> > Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 07:06:30 -0400
> > From: "Eric Dunbar" <eric.dunbar at gmail.com>
> >
> > I'm using the alternate ports now (:6800, :110, etc.) because my
> > domains end up at my server via a domain forward (which probably means
> > my server can't tell the difference between one domain and another).
>
> I'm not sure how your domain forwarding works, but for name-based
> vhosts apache looks at the Host: header field in the client's http
> request to determine what to match against ServerName or ServerAlias.
> Some ancient browsers using version 1.0 of http don't provide this, so
> name-base vhosts won't work for them (although there is a workaround).

How could one 'capture' the raw client http requests? Is Ethereal
capable of doing that?

As for the domain forwarding, I suspect that the server won't be able
to distinguish which of my domains was the source of the request (so,
using the port will at least allow me to serve up customized content).

> But if using other ports works best for you, no reason not to do so.
> Just be careful not to pick one where another server is listening (for
> example, port 110 that you mention is the standard pop3 port, so if
> you have a pop server running, it could conflict).  For a list of
> standard port assignments, see the file /etc/services.

Good point. I have the bare minimum number of services active anyway
(samba, AppleTalk (only when necessary to talk to a _very_ old
computer (1992 vintage)), X11 and apache).

Thanks, Eric.