[ydl-gen] Apache web server & virtual hosts

Christopher Murtagh christopher.murtagh at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 16:28:38 MDT 2006

On 7/28/06, Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm not sure how your domain forwarding works, but for name-based
> > vhosts apache looks at the Host: header field in the client's http
> > request to determine what to match against ServerName or ServerAlias.
> > Some ancient browsers using version 1.0 of http don't provide this, so
> > name-base vhosts won't work for them (although there is a workaround).

 I can't imagine how old that client would have to be. We were using
Name based virtual hosts on www.mcgill.ca when I started working there
over 6 years ago and never had a complaint even then. Plus with the
vast majoirity of shared hosting providers provide name based v-hosts
(unless you need/pay for SSL), any client that didn't support it would
be horribly broken for today's web.

Cheers,

Chris