[ydl-gen] video editor

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Wed Jun 21 15:52:21 MDT 2006

Hi Rev:
How are ya?  It's been a while... I hope things have gone well.

Regarding your current query, it is not within my expertise or any area
with which I have passing familiarity.  I did a search on Google and
came up with over 40+ million hits.  You will have to sort them out and
discover which one addresses your needs.  Here's the link to that
search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=video+editor%2C+Linux&start=0&ie=utf
-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

The details to consider are:

1.  Check documentation on the website to discover whether there is any
indication that the source is restricted to be compiled and run only on
Intel systems.

Discussion:  Unfortunately, many open source projects leave it to
others to develop binaries which the PPC can use.  Some other projects
provide open source software but don't clarify that the source code is
searching for specific components which only Intel systems contain.
Either way, this is not discovered usually until you attempt to compile
that software and then you find out as a result of the program failing
to compile.  Or sometimes the program compiles fine but the dependency
or dependencies it needs requires compilation on an Intel or Intel
compatible  -- meaning you can't run it anyway.  The other way to
determine whether source code can run within YDL or other PPC based
Linux is, just as time consuming.   You have to be able to read the C
or C++ source code yourself and determine directly via line by line
inspection of the source whether any access or library requires Intel
or Intel compatible technology at all.

2.  Occasionally, the only hint that the software only runs on Linux
for x86 (Intel and Intel compatible) systems is that only binaries for
Intel are provided.  Sometimes the discussion of the software (on that
project's website) presents the unspecified assumption that there is no
need for presenting or providing any other binaries.

3.  It may be the case that of the 40+ million hits for video editors,
the majority of them may indeed be open source but very few -- if any
-- will be software written so that the software  and it's dependencies
can be compiled and executed on a PowerPC system.

I hope these realities to consider doesn't disappoint your interests or
desires.

Best wishes.... Derick.