[ydl-gen] Re: yellowdog-general Digest, Vol 22, Issue 4

Nicholas Sinnott-Armstrong nova at macintoshclub.com
Tue Jun 27 08:31:40 MDT 2006

> Some improvements were probably done.  Obviously, if you can read this
> they are back up.  Just a minor point, but it's always a good idea to
> have yum.conf point to other servers (3 or 4) just in preparation for
> an event like this.

What are some other PPC RPM servers I can use? Do Mandrake/FC5 RPM
sites work (assuming the PPC variant)?

> Our servers were down yesterday to upgrade the transformer on the
> street.
>
> Not sure why ftp.yellowdoglinux.com was down, thats hosted by the
> MCS group
> at Argonne National Lab.

Ok, I just wanted to make sure nothing bad happened. :-)

I downloaded GNOME, so now I have more than either a nice text
interface or a bunch of xterms. I also downloaded tuxracer, but I was
only getting around 2-3 FPS with settings at the absolute minimum
(including windowed 320x240). On my Nvidia 6800 desktop, which I
recently put Ubuntu x86 SMP on, I remembered that this was because of
not having any hardware accel drivers. so, I lspci'd and found out I
had an ATI rage mobility L, which is apparently in the Mach64 family
(which makes since, because my lots-of-debugging output says Mach64
PLL register values: ...). I looked for 3D drivers, and it looks like
the ATI accel drivers are only for x86 :-(. So, it seems that either
MesaGL or DRI, or even Utah GL are the only workable options.
Along these lines, I attempted to get DRI/MesaGL compiled again,
which succeeded. I tried to install them and get 3d accel, which
failed. The only thing that I can think of is that my drivers require
X.org, not XFree86. Is there any way for us YDL 4.0 users to get
X.org? Either that, or has anybody successfully gotten X 3D
acceleration working with the ATI Rage Mobility L (NOT 128!)?

thanks!