[ydl-gen] Re: yellowdog-general Digest, Vol 22, Issue 4

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue Jun 27 10:25:54 MDT 2006

Hi Nicholas:

> What are some other PPC RPM servers I can use? Do Mandrake/FC5 RPM
> sites work (assuming the PPC variant)?

You can try whatever servers are listed here:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/resources/ftp_mirrors.shtml

or anywhere else as long as they have yum repositories, just set up
your yum.conf so that yum installs the available rpms for you.  If they
don't have yum you can dig through the directory levels and install the
rpms for PPC manually.

Regarding Mandrake or other distributions, I'm not sure what are on
their sites.  Frankly, I haven't tried what they have myself.  In
general, however, if it's PowerPC source it should run within YDL,
unless libraries are required which only that distribution carries or
uses.

As you already know, the devil is in the details...

>> Our servers were down yesterday to upgrade the transformer on the
>> street.
>>
>> Not sure why ftp.yellowdoglinux.com was down, thats hosted by the MCS
>> group
>> at Argonne National Lab.
>
> Ok, I just wanted to make sure nothing bad happened. :-)
>
> I downloaded GNOME, so now I have more than either a nice text
> interface or a bunch of xterms. I also downloaded tuxracer, but I was
> only getting around 2-3 FPS with settings at the absolute minimum
> (including windowed 320x240). On my Nvidia 6800 desktop, which I
> recently put Ubuntu x86 SMP on, I remembered that this was because of
> not having any hardware accel drivers. so, I lspci'd and found out I
> had an ATI rage mobility L, which is apparently in the Mach64 family
> (which makes since, because my lots-of-debugging output says Mach64
> PLL register values: ...). I looked for 3D drivers, and it looks like
> the ATI accel drivers are only for x86 :-(. So, it seems that either
> MesaGL or DRI, or even Utah GL are the only workable options.
> Along these lines, I attempted to get DRI/MesaGL compiled again, which
> succeeded. I tried to install them and get 3d accel, which failed. The
> only thing that I can think of is that my drivers require X.org, not
> XFree86. Is there any way for us YDL 4.0 users to get X.org? Either
> that, or has anybody successfully gotten X 3D acceleration working
> with the ATI Rage Mobility L (NOT 128!)?
>
> thanks!

As far as I could discover, the Nvidia 6800 is a card, not a desktop
computer.  Regarding YDL 4.0 and x.org, if your yum.conf is pointed at
the correct locations of YDL 4.0 yum repositories, you should have no
difficulties acquiring what is available for YDL 4.0.

It might be a good idea to find out first what you have, you could do
this with:

# yum info x*

This will list anything beginning with x.

# yum search x*

This will find whatever begins with an x.

After yum returns a listing of what it found you can then decide to
install it.

# yum install xfiles

or whatever you found in the list to be useful.

The other option you have is to go to x.org itself and find what is
available there  - download the source, compile it, build the
executables and install them.  However getting what is current from
them may not help you if their package requires the more current
packages available in the Linux kernel or other dependencies which
replace those you may be familiar with.  And as some dependencies are
shared across different applications this may become an unwieldy
problem pretty quickly.  Depending on the computer you use for YDL you
have a variety of choices.

Good Luck....