[ydl-gen] Question on YDL.net

Ted Goranson tedg at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jun 28 14:26:34 MDT 2006

Derrick-

this is very odd. I did not get your message, but learned of it
through Gavin's response. So I looked it up in the archives.

Yes, though I am a technical dummy when it comes to *nix geek issues,
I understood the "trickiness" of my question. That's why I started
with my willingness to PAY for KDE support.

Here's where I am coming from. I installed fedora core 5 on an old
intel machine. I have YDL 4.0 on an old PowerBook. Each is used as a
desktop, meaning desktop applications. For me that is KDE.

YDL's preferred desktop is KDE, while Fedora's is Gnome.

If you use KDE at all, you will quickly be impressed by the promise
but frustrated by all the things that aren't quite there. It
basically means that if you depend on KDE, you'll want the latest
KDE. I'd call it mission critical.

Fedora came with KDE 3.5.2, and an active community of volunteers
provides extremely timely yum feeds of stable and testing KDE rpms,
plus a helpful support list. This is free, of course.

Meanwhile, I have this old KDE on my beloved PB which I cannot
reliably use. It seems I can get an update to KDE 3.4.2 from 3.3.2
only by extreme pain in trashing 4.0 and going through that multiple
boot business and then resetting all the preferences, last time
taking two days - well you know the drill. And then I am stuck at
3.4.2 again.

I'm now in the process of possibly converting a better and more
beloved PB to Linux. YDL is the only game in town for these machines,
it seems. I will pay for 4.1, as I always do.

But I see that it will rankle the bejees out of me to be running a
constantly updated Fedora on the new MacBookPro (via parallels) and
an out of date KDE on the older PB.

So my question was sorta simple. IF I PAID, using the one means
TerraSoft provides for consumers to be "fresh," will I indeed be?

Its not an accusation or anything. I'm just trying my best to actually use YDL.

Best, Ted