[ydl-gen] Question on YDL.net

Ted Goranson tedg at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jun 28 17:35:49 MDT 2006

Derrick -

It is always a pleasure to get your attention. But its a little
frustrating to have the question not be answered. Suppose I really do
want KDE. Or even suppose that whatever I want, i want to be current.
Will paying for YDL.net help with that?

>>Here's where I am coming from. I installed fedora core 5 on an old
>>intel machine. I have YDL 4.0 on an old PowerBook. Each is used as
>>a desktop, meaning desktop applications. For me that is KDE.
>>
>>YDL's preferred desktop is KDE, while Fedora's is Gnome.
>
>Actually, this is not really so.

Well, my point was that Fedora goes way out of its way to support
even their non-preferred desktop.

>I'm sympathetic regarding your experience regarding KDE.  You always
>as I presented above, had the option to switch to Gnome.  I
>appreciate the musical themes of KDE, but I work seriously in Gnome.
>I've heard similar complaints from others regarding KDE, I always
>recommend Gnome.
>
>Maybe you consider using Gnome?

Er, I'm a dummy, but not that big a dummy. I've actually spent a lot
- a whole lot - of energy on this matter. I may as well tell you why
I prefer KDE.

- you can put the menubar where it belongs, at the top of the screen!

- I like Konqueror over Firefox. I like the notion of a web browser
being a file browser. I like the synergy between Apple and khtml.

- I like the way the components integrate, for instance its a snap
for the browser to be integrated within the news aggregator, for the
advanced text editor to contribute to the word processor, for the
raster editor to appear in the spreadsheet. The integration of
applications is just cool (or at least cooler than in Gnome). One
preference pane for every toolbar of every app? Cool.

- The KDE design philosophy seems levelheaded. The Gnome guys really,
really made a mistake, a huge one architecturally with all that CORBA
business, even though it has been discarded now. Now this I know
something about. I know this, I do.

- I'm disgusted by office suites that emulate Microsoft. If I wanted
bad user interface, I'd go where bad is done right, to Office. I come
from a FrameMaker background and am convinced that any useful word
processor will use the frame metaphor. Its a political thing gutwise,
but a practical one too regarding document structure. If you want
good software, you have to support it. Kword. Try it. Everyone
reading this, try it. I'd be willing to bet this exchange ends up
with more converts to KDE than the other way.

- In theory, KDE is along the lines of what you praise YDL as in your
post to Gavin. It isn't a collection of stuff from all over the
place, Mozilla, OO.org, OMG plus RedHat's business strategy and some
multimedia guys in another logical corner of the world. KDE is an
architecture first, then an integrated set of components, then
applications that when released are guaranteed to work together.
Isn't this what you touted? Its just philosophically more attractive.

>You do know about tar, downloading and recompiling all sorts of
>stuff by now so why stick with the old stuff, if your skills allow
>you to be and remain current.

But I don't. I don't have those skills. I may have to develop them if
the YDL community forces me. I'm lazy. I'm looking for what the other
guys have, an easier life. Even quirky PCBSD has a KDE update process.

>>So my question was sorta simple. IF I PAID, using the one means
>>TerraSoft provides for consumers to be "fresh," will I indeed be?
>>
>>Its not an accusation or anything. I'm just trying my best to
>>actually use YDL.
>
>Why pay anything right now.  It appears you need to have some
>questions addressed, tested and satisfied.
>It appears to me, that setting Gnome as your preferred desktop could
>be an answer for you.  Even using Gnome within YDL 4.0 is so much
>better than KDE.  And even though both KDE and Gnome are improved in
>YDL 4.1; I remain believing that Gnome remains better than KDE
>still.  All the programs which work under KDE remain available in
>Gnome.
>Try it out, I'm sure you'll feel better.
>
>Now since you don't have YDL 4.1 yet, why not consider exploring
>Gnome in YDL 4.0?  Get the feel of what I'm suggesting and see if
>your work within YDL can be such that you work in Gnome instead.
>You can consider other desktops like Enlightenment
>(enlightenment.org), but see if working with what is already
>available helps you.
>
>Try using Gnome in YDL 4.0 and see if that is a workable solution
>for you, after that you should be even better and stronger in
>confidence in moving up to Gnome in YDL 4.1.

If I use Linux at all, I'll use KDE (and Emacs and functional
programming). Look, we all make our choices, we all have values that
we want to support. If I go with OS at all, I'll go this way.

My question stands. Is there a way for me to remain current with KDE
on YDL by paying (or any other means)? Is YDL.net of any use in this
regard?

Thanks for the attention.

Best, Ted