[ydl-gen] Question on YDL.net -- correction

Ted Goranson tedg at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jun 28 22:37:36 MDT 2006

Derrick-

We are too far apart, talking past one another.

I already know what TS says about YDL.net. I was asking users what
their experience was, whether it had changed from the last time I
asked. (Bad report card.)

KDE was not a standard part of the fedora distribution until now.

We mean different things by "support" I suppose. I have no idea what
you mean except you think everyone does it: Most of your message
implies that if they distribute a version in their release that works
and includes help files, that's "support."

What I mean is KDE produces source code for a release that works.
That seldom falls perfectly with a distro's release. In my meaning of
the word, if KDE.org or Koffice.org doesn't provide the appropriate,
working binary, someone in the distro will. That's my meaning. Plus
they will distribute it to the correct yum repositories (or
equivalent, depending on the technique used).

All the major distros I've surveyed do this, now that FC does. YDL does not.

>Ubuntu Linux, however follows Debian and Debian's most recent
>published standard release as I correctly presented, is behind YDL's
>standard release.

Well, I didn't mention Ubuntu. It would be Kubuntu, yes?

You see, it doesn't much matter what the version number of KDE that
is on the Kubuntu CDs, because in Kubuntu, you can immediately...

Perhaps I should pause here for effect.

Immediately upgrade to the latest stable version. And thereafter
whenever. In fact you can install Ubuntu (which includes only Gnome)
and add the LATEST

Pause for effect...

..the latest KDE at any time to transform to Kubuntu. So why not
install Kubuntu, Ted? Because YDL works better, at least so far as
the hardware footprint. But it might be easier to fiddle with getting
an active non-YDL distro installed than worry about building my own
KDE binaries every few weeks.

>I think I answered that question.  I don't think it's TSS's job to
>do the work KDE is supposed to do or have completed within a certain
>period.

KDE's responsibility only extends as far as providing source, so far
as I know. Do I have it wrong?

>You can do that within ANY desktop environment, Ted.  Really, you
>can.  It's a matter of accessing the help system of that particular
>desktop environment to learn how.  That's why the developers of each
>and every desktop environment put in their own help system.  By the
>way Ted, all you needed to do to move the menubar in Gnome is the
>same as you would do in KDE.  Just put your cursor over the middle
>of the bar where there are no applications on the bar, press the
>left key on your mouse down, hold it down and then drag the bar
>whereever you want it.  Up, Left or Right.  I like it to the right
>myself.

Er. Wake up. Menu bar. You know the little bar that usually is at the
top of windows in Microsoft and Linux, and is at the top of the
screen on Macs? That little thing that says "File," "Edit," and so
on...

Its a menu bar and it belongs at the top.

Best, Ted