[ydl-gen] Question on YDL.net -- correction

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Thu Jun 29 06:51:25 MDT 2006

Ted, I appreciate your perspective and humor.

Pause for effect, indeed.

Personally, I don't care about having the latest stuff -- I'm not a
prima donna prancing about with the latest this or that; nor must I
have the latest renditions of any of the Arts.  There's nothing wrong
about being a prima donna -- General Patton was one.  I care about what
works with hardware and how that functions for me.  You've made my case
regarding YDL for me in your statement regarding hardware.  And really
Ted, what's the point of the software without hardware?  I wanted to
make an analogy using cars like having a dashboard without the rest of
the car; but that doesn't work because the "dashboard", here software,
can't exist without it.  Now maybe in some distant future it may one
day be possible to access some global holographic system from thin air
from anyplace on Earth -- I believe the networks in Hell and Heaven are
fully supported that way from wherever one is.

However, I begin to have a better understanding at what you are aiming
at.  And I believe your point does have value, although it doesn't fit
my personal style.

Your experience with Kubuntu (I suppose it's Ubuntu within KDE) is
revealing as underneath all that is Debian essentially.  I've always
admired Debian and it remains the only other distribution I've even
seriously considered for my own use.  However, your comment regarding
hardware also reflects upon them.

> KDE's responsibility only extends as far as providing source, so far
> as I know. Do I have it wrong?

Ted, I don't know.  I have enough difficulty keeping up with what I'm
supposed to know, what I should know and what I need to know.  This
question regarding who really does what will have to go on one of those
lists just to get done.  There are so many things going on in Linux,
it's pretty telling regarding the nature of the world around us, when
it's only  you and I, addressing these kind of questions.  As for
myself, I agree getting clarification regarding what is going on and
how things are done, let alone who does what -- would be rather nice.
I shouldn't have to point out the enormous streak of independence
evident in each project and distribution.  Gimp is a good example of a
project that is both very powerful and useful and amazingly cryptic
regarding it's menu and command structure just so no one can confuse it
with Photoshop, and GImp is not the only Linux application like that.
There are plenty of odd and wild - powerful - Linux applications out
there.

Ted, I think you've done a judo move on me and this question could be
harder to address than is clear right now.

>> You can do that within ANY desktop environment, Ted.  Really, you
>> can.  It's a matter of accessing the help system of that particular
>> desktop environment to learn how.  That's why the developers of each
>> and every desktop environment put in their own help system.  By the
>> way Ted, all you needed to do to move the menubar in Gnome is the
>> same as you would do in KDE.  Just put your cursor over the middle of
>> the bar where there are no applications on the bar, press the left
>> key on your mouse down, hold it down and then drag the bar whereever
>> you want it.  Up, Left or Right.  I like it to the right myself.
>
> Er. Wake up. Menu bar. You know the little bar that usually is at the
> top of windows in Microsoft and Linux, and is at the top of the screen
> on Macs? That little thing that says "File," "Edit," and so on...
>
> Its a menu bar and it belongs at the top.

Why?

Just because you are still following the indoctrination you got from
school, from Apple or Microsoft, or where ever -- why should that
matter regarding my choices? Besides, who other than myself, cares?
This issue is that the work get done, yes?  So what matters really is
not where I put the menu, but rather will the software run on my
hardware!

Ooops, back to that are we?

Best of Luck.... Derick.