[ydl-gen] Question on YDL.net

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Wed Jun 28 15:11:05 MDT 2006

Sorry Gavin:
It is difficult to understand what you are saying.  You are saying I'm
correct and then later I'm incorrect?
Let's settle this the easy way, ok?

Go to Debian's own website (their official press release) and read the
details here:

http://www.debian.org/News/2005/20050606

What you are referring to Gavin are updates to the standard release,
which is done by individuals and piecemeal.  And as any experienced
Linux user knows that is what everybody does no matter what
distribution one uses, except for YDL.  And why is that an important
difference?

Well TSS, believes (their performance demonstrates this) that as people
are paying for TSS's service it consistently puts it's standard release
way far ahead of everyone else's standard release AND insures that
these packages work together.  Now that's a big difference, yes?

Let me be clear, I do respect the efforts of the non-commercial
community and I'm well aware of their fans and their respective values.
  However, there is a big difference between what I expect in the
quality of what I pay for and what I expect for "free".  I for one am
very lenient with free open source software and the attitudes of some
programmers who confuse themselves as deities.  So when I find
ridiculous coding errors in kernel source or elsewhere I make note of
it but in my situation I've never had to bother reporting it because
TSS invariably leap frogs over everyone else's versions -- regularly
and consistently -- they've done so for years, since their first
product.  I know because I bought and used it then and I use YDL 4.1
now.

Now let me be clear about this because we are all rather busy doing
something, and really there is no argument here.

Linux is about individuals making highly complex and technical choices.
  Not something the mass majority is really used to by the way.  Some
distributions are better than others in the kind of face and support
structure they build around their version of Linux.  This is no
surprise and is quite a wonderful thing.  However, when the details and
technicalities really matter -- and one needs a certain level of
standard performance because one is engaged in some detailed and
technical work of their own research interests or with a government or
private lab -- one needs assurance that solid reliability of every
standard package in a release is actually there.  Well, this is where
commercial entities shine and of them, what TSS has done and continues
to do today, is not insignificant.

Let's allow everyone the level of respect they have actually earned,
shall we?

Derick.