[ydl-gen] YDL 4.1 questions - file sharing & OldWorld support

Andrew virgule88 at videotron.ca
Sun Mar 12 10:55:53 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 12:33 -0500, Andrew wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 11:29 -0500, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> > Hello all:
> >
> > Currently I'm running YDL 4.0.1 as a file and web server on a Beige
> > G3/266 (Rev B IIRC) OldWorld Mac.
> >
> > It's in need of a reformat (2 years of gunk + problems with an HFS+
> > partition that's used to store files through a symbolic link) so I
> > thought I'd go with 4.1.
> >
> > Questions:
> > 1. Does the samba file server "work out of the box"? The SMB server
> > that shipped with 4.0 was broken and required a recompile to fix it.
> > Presumably this has been fixed in 4.1?
> >
> > 2. Does 4.1 work as flawlessly with a Beige G3 as does 4.0.1? I'd
> > prefer to stay "as current as possible", but, if I should stick with
> > 4.0.1 I'll do so.
> >
> > Regardless, I have to reformat the whole drive (current partitioning
> > scheme is driving me nuts -- I made less than optimal decisions
> > IMNSHO) and I'd rather start 100% fresh with 4.1 than having to fix
> > the SMB server problem in 4.0.
> >
> > Eric.
>
> I just tried 4.1 on my OldWorld G3/300. The kernel does boot somewhat..
> modules.dep is missing and ramdisk??? report an incomplete write?. It
> then proceed to boot my current Breezy installation with ydl 4.1 kernel.
> It is not using the YDL 4.1 CD1 at all.
>
> There is no internet connection.. I did not search a way at all as the
> system loaded unexpectedly into Breezy anyway. I could very well be the
> 'root=/dev/hdc7' kernel arguments..
>
> I'll try again with /dev/ram and /dev/hda as root..it might just work ;)
>

> Stay Tuned. I'll get to back in a hour or so to report success or
> failure. Right now we know the kernel is functional on OldWorld
> stuffs ;)

I report partial success. I got all the way up to running anaconda, just
past probing for video cards and stuff. Screen freeze with a underscore
sitting top-left.. not blinking at all.. The computer is not dead tho I
could switch ttys even tho no on-screen visual could confirm it, I could
hit CAPSLOCK on tty1, keyboard led turn ON, switch to tty2 led off, back
to tty1 led on again so that is it.. Text mode install should work...

I am going back to it using text mode install..

This setup got me this far:
Select kernel and ramdisk.image.gz as usual in Bootx/
RAMDISK size = 32768
in kernel arguments field: root=/dev/hda
I have not tried /dev/ram.. My bet its useless

next step: Try with these extra kernel arguments:
install-safe
install-text