[ydl-gen] YDL 4.1 questions - file sharing & OldWorld support

Andrew virgule88 at videotron.ca
Sun Mar 12 16:28:53 MST 2006

> > I just tried 4.1 on my OldWorld G3/300. The kernel does boot somewhat..
> > modules.dep is missing and ramdisk??? report an incomplete write?. It
> > then proceed to boot my current Breezy installation with ydl 4.1 kernel.
> > It is not using the YDL 4.1 CD1 at all.
> >
> > There is no internet connection.. I did not search a way at all as the
> > system loaded unexpectedly into Breezy anyway. I could very well be the
> > 'root=/dev/hdc7' kernel arguments..
> >
> > I'll try again with /dev/ram and /dev/hda as root..it might just work ;)
>
> Ok, from the posts here it sounds like the kernel for 4.1 needs to be
> recompiled to provide OldWorld support.
>
> I'm wondering if the 4.0.1 kernel would work or if that's trying to
> mix and match too many different versions (especially with something
> as important as the kernel)?
>

> As for your "no internet connection" problem, here's an old post from the forum:
>
> Daniel Gimpelevich <daniel@*> to yellowdog-gene. 5/12/05
>
> It's a feature, not a bug. add the following line to /etc/modprobe.conf:
> alias eth0 bmac

Yep. I did alias eth0 to bmac. Along /etc/inittab defaulting to runlevel
3 and installer providing no opportunity to add user(s). This is easy
stuffs to fix (for me anyway) so no big deal.

This is about the initrd only the kernel is working alright I like it
much. It must just be missing a module or two just like Ubuntu. I would
not have succeed without my ramdisk (initrd) so no, YDL 4.1 is not
'working' on OldWorld macs.