[ydl-gen] YDL 4.1 questions - file sharing & OldWorld support

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 15:43:26 MST 2006

On 3/12/06, Andrew <virgule88 at videotron.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 11:29 -0500, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> > Hello all:
> >
> > Currently I'm running YDL 4.0.1 as a file and web server on a Beige
> > G3/266 (Rev B IIRC) OldWorld Mac.
> >
> > It's in need of a reformat (2 years of gunk + problems with an HFS+
> > partition that's used to store files through a symbolic link) so I
> > thought I'd go with 4.1.
> >
> > Questions:
> > 1. Does the samba file server "work out of the box"? The SMB server
> > that shipped with 4.0 was broken and required a recompile to fix it.
> > Presumably this has been fixed in 4.1?
> >
> > 2. Does 4.1 work as flawlessly with a Beige G3 as does 4.0.1? I'd
> > prefer to stay "as current as possible", but, if I should stick with
> > 4.0.1 I'll do so.
> >
> > Regardless, I have to reformat the whole drive (current partitioning
> > scheme is driving me nuts -- I made less than optimal decisions
> > IMNSHO) and I'd rather start 100% fresh with 4.1 than having to fix
> > the SMB server problem in 4.0.
> >
> > Eric.
>
> I just tried 4.1 on my OldWorld G3/300. The kernel does boot somewhat..
> modules.dep is missing and ramdisk??? report an incomplete write?. It
> then proceed to boot my current Breezy installation with ydl 4.1 kernel.
> It is not using the YDL 4.1 CD1 at all.
>
> There is no internet connection.. I did not search a way at all as the
> system loaded unexpectedly into Breezy anyway. I could very well be the
> 'root=/dev/hdc7' kernel arguments..
>
> I'll try again with /dev/ram and /dev/hda as root..it might just work ;)

Ok, from the posts here it sounds like the kernel for 4.1 needs to be
recompiled to provide OldWorld support.

I'm wondering if the 4.0.1 kernel would work or if that's trying to
mix and match too many different versions (especially with something
as important as the kernel)?

As for your "no internet connection" problem, here's an old post from the forum:

Daniel Gimpelevich <daniel@*> to yellowdog-gene. 5/12/05

It's a feature, not a bug. add the following line to /etc/modprobe.conf:
alias eth0 bmac