[ydl-gen] YDL 4.1 - OldWorld Installation

Andrew virgule88 at videotron.ca
Sun Mar 12 14:15:08 MST 2006

> On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 12:33 -0500, Andrew wrote:
>

> I just tried 4.1 on my OldWorld G3/300. The kernel does boot somewhat..
> modules.dep is missing and ramdisk??? report an incomplete write?. It
> then proceed to boot my current Breezy installation with ydl 4.1 kernel.
> It is not using the YDL 4.1 CD1 at all.
>
> There is no internet connection.. I did not search a way at all as the
> system loaded unexpectedly into Breezy anyway. I could very well be the
> 'root=/dev/hdc7' kernel arguments..
>
> I'll try again with /dev/ram and /dev/hda as root..it might just work ;)
>

> Stay Tuned. I'll get to back in a hour or so to report success or
> failure. Right now we know the kernel is functional on OldWorld
> stuffs ;)

Ok. I am typing this from YDL 4.1 on my Beige G3/300 OldWorld.

I had to recycle a ramdisk.image.gz I made for Kubuntu so it would boot
from hdc. I shall create a ramdisk for all of us old hardware runners...
I have learned how in Ubuntu it might be a bit different here. Remind me
to do just that if it takes too long. :) I might just share mine is need
be. Its working for me. I suspect the CD1 ramdisk miss some modules..
like mesh, sym53c8xx and/or sd_mod maybe?

So that is how I did it:
Set ramdisk size to 32768, put "root:/dev/hda install text" along my
usual video= parameters in kernel arguments field.

First attempted was just default everything approach. It crapped out on
"autorun-3.13-1.ppc" (first package of CD 3) I had to start over. I saw
some errors on others ttys so I disabled SELinux at 2nd attempt and it
installed everything just fine.

There are my install observations:
!! RAMDISK: incomplete write (-28 != 32768) 8388608
## Fix: BootX's ramdisk size to: 32768

!! Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)
## Fix: BootX's kernel argument: "root=/dev/hda"
## Actually, root=/dev/??? is your CD-ROM device.

!! Anaconda crapped out right after probing for video cards and stuffs..
!! leaving a blank screen as mentioned above..
## Fix: BootX's kernel argument: "install text"

That was it. Now for some tidbits I spot on tty2 and tty3:
!! Unable to instantiate a X hardware State object ('instantiate'!? lol)

!!/usr/lib/python-2.4/whrandompy:38:DepretationWarning: the whrandom
module deprecated; please use random module (braket return)
DeprecationWarning

!! on tty4: program anaconda is using a deprcated SCSI ioctl, please
convert it to SG_IO

!! error mounting selinuxfs: (19, no such device)

There is also some post-install tricks. You may not reach that far
unless you get yourself a ramdisk.image.gz like mine.