[ydl-gen] Upgrade 4.01 -> 4.1: odd boot behaviour

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue Mar 14 02:55:15 MST 2006

I don't have an exact answer to your questions, but I ran into similar
problems lately when upgrading a Mandrake system.

For the missing console, I didn't need to change the initrd, but instead, I
had to create
/dev/console
/dev/null
/dev/zero
on my root partition (/)

Udev creates these as well, but at boot time udev isn't there yet, and so the
initial console is missing.

I found this Fedora page interesting in this regard:
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/udev/

Maybe it can help.

Good luck,

Geert Janssens