[ydl-gen] Upgrade rant, was: Re: over-the-wire upgrading of 4.01 to 4.1

Jim Hart jhart at bates.edu
Fri Mar 17 06:44:12 MST 2006

<rant>
You know, this is one thing that M$ and Apple have over GNU/Linux in
every distro I know of. You can upgrade the O.S. without erasing and
starting over. Your applications stay put (although they may not run in
some cases), your preferences stay put, your documents stay put. It's so
much easier. As much as I love Linux, and I use YDL 3.0.1 all the time,
I wish Linux distros would do a better job of being able to upgrade in
place.
</rant>