[ydl-gen] Upgrade rant, was: Re: over-the-wire upgrading of 4.01 to 4.1

Kai Staats kstaats at terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Mar 17 14:14:15 MST 2006

On Friday 17 March 2006 12:28, John C. Welch wrote:
> On 3/17/06 11:12, "Kai Staats" <kstaats at terrasoftsolutions.com> wrote:
> > Ever tried backing up your home dir on OSX, rebuilding, and reinstalling?
> > I have yet to have it work properly. Permissions are messed up, app
> > preferences are all over the place and usually lost --it's a pain.
>
> How many times have you *had* to? I've yet to have to outside of actual
> damage. Sometimes Linux gets trapped by its own "hard is cool" heritage

I have _had_ to reinstall several times because things start to slow down,
crash, or even not launch. But not trying to start a thread battle, just
sharing my experience ...

... I guess that was my point, that I do not know how to back up my home dir
in OSX _and_ all the app preferences and actually have it work. It takes
hours and a lot of tinkering, but in Linux I simply archive one directory and
it just works. This breaks down only when the individual apps, such as KDE,
have changed between their own versions such that prefs no longer match. We
(as the OS developer), have no control over this and the KDE guys seem to do
this for the fun of it, just to make things interesting :)

kai