[ydl-gen] Upgrade rant, was: Re: over-the-wire upgrading of 4.01 to 4.1

John C. Welch jwelch at bynkii.com
Fri Mar 17 15:08:55 MST 2006

On 3/17/06 15:14, "Kai Staats" <kstaats at terrasoftsolutions.com> wrote:

> ... I guess that was my point, that I do not know how to back up my home dir
> in OSX _and_ all the app preferences and actually have it work. It takes
> hours and a lot of tinkering, but in Linux I simply archive one directory and
> it just works. This breaks down only when the individual apps, such as KDE,
> have changed between their own versions such that prefs no longer match. We
> (as the OS developer), have no control over this and the KDE guys seem to do
> this for the fun of it, just to make things interesting :)

For homedirs

Dump it to a disk image/CD, then copy it back, overwrite everything.

The biggest problems happen if your new UID is different from your old UID.
But chown -R fixes that.

For /Library, the best way is a clean install that preserves user and
network settings. There's *maybe* a handful of things that won't get put
correctly for you, and they'll be sitting in the same relative place in the
/Previous Systems/ directory.

For /System, leave it the heck alone. If you had kext's in there, just
reinstall from source media.

--
John C. Welch         Writer/Analyst
Bynkii.com              Mac and other opinions
jwelch at bynkii.com