[ydl-gen] GLIBCXX_3.4.4

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Mon May 22 16:42:05 MDT 2006

Hi Peter:
I'm not sure I will have addressed all the aspects of your concern but
the information here is what I could ascertain regarding it.
One reference I acquired was a discussion regarding the same problem
you reported posted here:

  http://blog.arabx.com.au/?p=109

The devil, as usual is in the details.  The links to the recommended
websites don't work, although they once did.
The resource I used to get to the required source in question was:

http://libsigc.sourcforge.net/stable.shtml

That lead me into here:

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/libsigc++/2.0/

Unfortunately, you should immediately become suspicious as the most
recent date of this software ends in Dec 20, 2005.
Furthermore after you manage to untar and review the source it is then
you will see that this software is intended to build and construct
macros and other libraries which address conversion problems between
Win32 based systems and modern 64bit and higher systems.  The question
really should be why bother with 32bit systems when 64 bit are
available?  In other words, you should be able to do without these
libraries entirely which also explains why the recommended directories
mentioned within the above referenced blog don't exist within the YDL
environment -- they (the directories) have to be created, as do the
32bit related macros.

Of course, there are uses for 32bit processing still, but using a 64bit
system to do it is a waste of cycles.  It may be a better use of
resources to relegate such need to a pc which is noncritical or doesn't
matter if it slows down as it should be dedicated to transferring 32bit
into 64bit data.  Meanwhile highlevel processing requiring 64bit and
higher receive the output from it's slower and ever decreasingly
efficient partner without slowing downing critical jobs.

Best wishes...