[ydl-gen] blue and white g3 and ata66 ?

james rooker james_l_rooker at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 1 23:21:09 MST 2006

I have been an avid reader of several ppc linux
mailing lists for years -- Have not posted in a long
time.

Here is my issue: I have a 400Mhz Blue and White G3
with 512MB Ram and 2 hard drives -- 1 20gb Western
Digital (the macosx boot drive)
and 1 300gb Maxtor drive -- Now the problem is that
with the onboard HD controller by default the 300gb
Maxtor is seen as a 137gb drive unless I use the ATA
HD patch from Intech. With that patch I can set
multiple 137gb partitions and use all  or most of the
300gb capacity of the drive. Under MacOSX this is not
a problem as I use the smaller drive as the boot drive
on this system anyway. However when I try to install
yellowdog -- I cannot make it anywhere past the
partition stage of the installer -- it never actually
writes linux files to the drive. I have tried
yellowdog 3.0 and yellowdog 4.0 --- Does the latest
yellowdog have any software in it that allows it to
properly see big drives? I have heard that fedora ppc
does have some patch in it -- but have not been able
to get it past the partition stage either. I could get
a ATA controller card for this machine that would
handle large drives but all of those that I have
priced are beyond my price range at the moment.

Does anyone know of a patch that would allow the linux
installer to work properly or alternatively a
controller card that could be had for $50 or less as
opposed to the $79-$199 ranges I have seen thus far??

Thanks for any possible help.
James Rooker.

PS -- Fedora ppc installer gets to the partition stage
just fine -- but not beyond it...

Yellowdog sometimes errors out with a pci at 80000 error
and cannot find a linux kernel to boot from -- or
boots fine but does not get beyond the partition
stage.