[ydl-gen] No video hardware acceleration on PS3

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Mon Nov 13 14:03:12 MST 2006

I gave up using YDL on my 17" Powerbook because of the very poor
quality of the video drivers - even though the video was nominally
"accelerated", there were lots of artifacts when windows were moved
making the whole experience very painful to me compared to OSX
(explicitly turning off acceleration made the behavior much worse and
totally unacceptable).  I am guessing that poor video responsiveness
would also be the case on the PS3 and this enormously reduces the
attractiveness of using it (bearing in mind that there are a number
of other disadvantages of linux compared to OSX). This is especially
abhorrent on a machine with such highly touted graphics performance -
a bit like driving a Ferarri with a governor limiting the speed to 30
mph.

As I said, I was looking forward to porting my OSX apps, which make
heavy use of OpenGL, to the PS3 and also being able to take advantage
of the parallelism on the Cell (I already get a 4x speed improvement
using Altivec/VMX on the G4). These apps would crawl on a PS3 without
accelerated video. I also noted the word "currently" and will watch
the developments in this area with interest.