[ydl-gen] No video hardware acceleration on PS3

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 13:48:19 MST 2006

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:21:54 -0700 Brian Wood <beww at bresnan.net> wrote:

> On Nov 13, 2006, at 12:46 PM, ugo wrote:
>
> > wow as you say...
> >
> > No 3D for any linux os on ps3 ?!
> > No Opengl, no directX... If this is definitivly impossible, linux
> > on ps3 wont go far.
> > This is the baddest new i heard about ps3.
> >
> > Why this ? Is this a limitation coming from Sony ?
> > No way to pass through ?
> >

> Yeah. Although most of us here are probably not gamers, one of the
> main attributes of the PS3, as I see it, is great video hardware.
>
> This basically reduces the possible video down to the level of a
> dumb framebuffer, making it one of the fastest CLI-based machines
> around :-)

Note the docs use the word "currently", which means it might be
possible later.  I suspect it was a case of "we can't directly access
the GPU, so it's a hard job, lets just do a frame buffer now and do
fancy GPU stuff later".  In other words, do the simple thing now, so
that there is something that is usable, get it out the door, then work
on doing all that complex, juicy stuff.  Just a guess.  B-)

All access to the GPU is through the hypervisor, that adds an extra
layer.  So your standard nVdia binary video driver is unlikely to work,
even if it does support that particular GPU.

Also note, YDL 5 will feature the E17 window manager.  E17 gives you
lots of eye candy, speed, and low resource usage.  It does all this
without using any graphics hardware acceleration.

Lets face facts, the 3D games available for Linux pale in comparison to
the actual PS3 games that will be available.  You don't buy a PS3 to
play linux games on it.  You install linux on a PS3 for other reasons.
Well, that's why I'm getting one.  B-)

(Yes, I'm ignoring non game 3D apps.  I don't use any.  Hell, I barely
have time to play games.)