[ydl-gen] No video hardware acceleration on PS3

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Wed Nov 15 08:29:31 MST 2006

I will wait and see. I would need to give up porting my OpenGL
physics demos, which would be one of my reasons for getting the PS3.
On the other hand, if everyday use (browser speed, smooth window
moving ,etc.) were decent, I might get one. Right now, for some
reason, even with 'acceleration", the graphics on my Powerbook 17
under YDL are very annoying (lots of artifacts when I move windows).
I am looking for a "user experience" at least as good as running OS X
on my 1.5 GHz G4 and Radeon 9700 GPU. This includes smooth graphics
at the "everyday use" level. The upside would be an opportunity to
program the Cell, something I was looking forward to (but how
frustrating it would be to not gain the ability to translate the Cell
speed into snappy OpenGl graphics!!).

-Warren Nagourney