[ydl-gen] No video hardware acceleration on PS3

Luke Scharf lscharf at vt.edu
Thu Nov 16 13:53:28 MST 2006

Warren Nagourney wrote:
> Well, the lack of 2D and 3D graphics acceleration has been confirmed
> on the YDL website (I think recently - I don't remember its being in
> the FAQ earlier). I think this situation is laughable - why would
> anyone spend this money on a machine with such lame graphics? For
> this price, one can get a fully functional PC with a supported
> graphics card (something I would do if I didn't have strong
> objections to X86)

It depends on what you're doing.  If you want to play with a cell
processor to see if your application will work on an IBM BladeCenter
(which costs tens of thousands of dollars) that happens to have the cell
processor and no video -- then testing key parts of your calculation on
a $600 PS3 is a *very* good deal.  Granted that this is a small niche,
but it is an exciting tool for the scientific computing world, and will
probably really help to sell this highly unusual chip.

If I were to buy a PS3 for my home, it would need a fully-functional and
accelerated X-server.  But, at the $600 price-point in my living room,
it's really competing with the Mac Mini.  :-)

I guess the main point of this message is that while the desktop is the
most visible part of the computing world, it's only a small part of
picture.  What's laughable on the desktop may be quite practical
elsewhere -- and the reverse is certainly true!

-Luke