[ydl-gen] So, PS3

Bill Mueller bmueller at terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Nov 17 14:14:20 MST 2006

> acceleration. I assume that YDL can deal with both Mac and PC
> keyboards?

Yes.  Well, no ps/2...

> a headless station in a wired Gigethernetwork. Probably you'd buy the
> cheaper of the two and put a large hard disk in it.

I'd assume this would void the HW warranty.

> In this case, you could use ordinary desktop applications that aren't
> graphics-intensive. I suppose that means that KDE (which I prefer)
> would be slow.

Physical memory limitations would have a higher impact.  KDE will
require heavy reliance on HD swap.

> Since we'd be depending on TerraSoft to build and maintain rpms for
> the yum archive, we'd have to go with what they
> decide is in their interest to support. And we have no way yet of
> knowing that, do we?

Subjective, really depends on user's ability and expectations.  First,
there are several maintainers of yum-aware repositories.  Also, you're
not constrained to use yum, rpm, apt, or whatever package manager.
Individual application maintainers can provide binaries, and you always
have the source...

As for TerraSoft's repositories, it has been a goal to favor stability over
cutting edge.  Security updates tend to make the bulk of repository
maintenance.

> Programming the cell seems limited in certain respects. A C compiler
> (octopiler) is available. And it appears that some Eclipse-based Java
> tools are as well. But if you wanted to explore some languages not of
> interest to Sony/IBM/terrasoft , like lisp for instance, you'd be on
> your own.

This is true for any Linux platform, and therein lies the power of
the OS.  While not everything is provided, you're not limited in
capabilities.

Besides, I'd guess someone looking/needing to program in LISP on a
PS3 has the tools and knowledge to get it running...

> Do I have all this right? Its hard to sort out the facts.

Yeah, the facts are mixed in with the assumed potential... similar to
how your questions are mixed with assumptions :)

-Bill