[ydl-gen] So, PS3

Bill Mueller bmueller at terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Nov 17 17:19:07 MST 2006

> So, single-chip paradigm architectures... and you really don't see
> the difference between these and the Cell? And it isn't that Linux
> Help and advise to take whatever stack they use on the old paradigm
> machines and optimize them for this new paradigm. Ownershop or at
> least encouragement of a community.

paradigm overload.

I still don't understand what you're saying at the level you are.
I'm guessing compiler optimization?

They are not impressive now, but same was said jumping from:
  - 601 to 604e (split I/D cache, re-order buffer, branch prediction)
  - g3/75x to g4/75xx (altevec/VMX, SIMD, SMP)
  - g4 to g5/970 (64 bit, etc..)

I'm not a Cell expert, but as I understand it the cell still has a
Power core, but has the addition of several vector coproccessing units
with a fast bus interconnecting them.

> Specific recommendation: a mailing list with folks on it who know the
> architecture and what was done to the kernel and perhaps some
> octopiler guys.

If this is the level you're discussing, check out
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/power/cell/
and you can join their existing developer forums.

YDL-gen focusses at a little higher level than that.  You don't see too
much code-optimization, kernel or application developement on this list.

-Bill

Maybe someone from the Y-HPC end Purpose of the list: