[ydl-gen] So, PS3

Ted Goranson tedg at alum.mit.edu
Fri Nov 17 15:25:59 MST 2006

>Not sure your definition of radically different architecture, but ydl
>has run on Old World Macs, NuBus Macs, Total Impact Bricks, Amiga, Genesi
>Pegosos I & II, New World Macs (G3, G4, G5, SMP and Dual Core), Mercury
>Blade Center, Themis TPPC64, etc...

So, single-chip paradigm architectures... and you really don't see
the difference between these and the Cell? And it isn't that Linux
runs on the new chip, it is that it can manage task assignment from
programs on top of linux.

>You lost me here.  Aside from a working kernel, tool chain, desktop,
>and all the source code, what else do hackers need?

Help and advise to take whatever stack they use on the old paradigm
machines and optimize them for this new paradigm. Ownershop or at
least encouragement of a community.

Specific recommendation: a mailing list with folks on it who know the
architecture and what was done to the kernel and perhaps some
octopiler guys. Maybe someone from the Y-HPC end Purpose of the list:
to help folks working on language and database tools to take
advantage of this new design.

-T