[ydl-gen] So, PS3

Bill Mueller bmueller at terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Nov 17 14:57:19 MST 2006

> But there are no other Linux distros that I know that are on such a
> radically different architecture than the kernel and all the tools
> expect.

Not sure your definition of radically different architecture, but ydl
has run on Old World Macs, NuBus Macs, Total Impact Bricks, Amiga, Genesi
Pegosos I & II, New World Macs (G3, G4, G5, SMP and Dual Core), Mercury
Blade Center, Themis TPPC64, etc...

And if you take a distro like debian (http://www.debian.org/ports/)or
culinux... anything that can run linux, does...

> And it is likely that to really get the fun out of the thing,
> we really will need someone in charge to champion our explorations.
> And that needs to be TS, IBM or Sony.

This is philosophical point.  And while I see your point and my gut
says you're correct, linux history tends to contradict it.  I don't
think you need so much a champion, just a catalyst.

> In a way, TS is situated where Microsoft was (but without the early
> blood). If they only could find a way to let the hacker community
> play. Maybe they will, or someone will.

You lost me here.  Aside from a working kernel, tool chain, desktop,
and all the source code, what else do hackers need?

-Bill