[ydl-gen] PS3 Linux and Controller

Henry A. Leinhos henry at leinhos.com
Thu Oct 19 11:18:20 MDT 2006

Wikipedia to the rescue!

The CELL has one "Power Processor Element" ("PPE"), and several "Synergistic
Processing Elements" ("SPE").  While the PPE is "a two-way SMT multithreaded
Power 970 architecture compliant core", the SPEs are not, and would not run
PPC-based code.  The PPE would have to load each SPE with SPE-specific code
in a coprocessor fashion, so I would doubt that it would perform as a 8-way
SMP machine.

$0.02

Henry