[ydl-gen] SSH and hung with YDL 4.0 and G4

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue Oct 24 09:27:17 MDT 2006

>> Is there a reason you are staying with the earlier version of YDL?
>> Perhaps you are waiting for YDL 5?
>> Regardless of your reasons YDL 4.1 is very much ahead of YDL 4.0.
>>

> No reasons, it is just that I could not find a compelling reason nor an easy way
> to upgrade to 4.1. So if I upgrade I would prefer to wait 5.0.

Waiting for YDL 5 would probably be the best strategy.
>> If you were a bit more specific identifying your difficulty
>> perhaps I could suggest something less general.
>>

> The issue is that I get something like after a few seconds of download:
>
> file.iso.gz                                 35%   66MB 100.7KB/s  -- stalled --
>
> I've read that it could have to do with the small amount of memory that I have
> and the file I'm transferring is quite large. I've played with the MTU setting
> and it did behave better but still it did not complete the download.
>
> Thanks,
> Manu

I'm guessing that the source of the difficulty you report may be the
kind of line in use by the institution you work for.  For example,
according to the research I did regarding the Mac you have or use at the
office -- it already came with the capacity for Gigabit Ethernet.  All
you needed was an ethernet cable, or if your office used wifi, perhaps
changing some network settings within YDL to switch to Airport so that
you could take advantage of that -- which would mean goodbye to the
cable.  Of course the network options, within YDL 4.0 are available
within the Network app which appears differently if one is in KDE or
Gnome.  Still all you needed, was a cable, and then check the settings
within the Network app.  You should have had no difficulties.

You could ask someone within your institution's IT department, what kind
of line they use such as T1, T3 or something else.  In any event, there
is probably nothing you can do as an employee, if the line or pathway
used by the institution is substandard.

Although Unix/Linux systems tend to be very efficient regarding how they
use RAM, getting more RAM for your system would not hurt.  However,
given that the hardware you have is rather dated anyway it may be a good
idea to call TSS for consultation regarding which computer would best
meet your work requirements.

Good Luck...